The Emergency Central Heating Offer (ECHO) provides free boiler repairs and replacements to eligible residents with broken or condemned boilers. The initiative is delivered in partnership with AgilityEco and was launched in 2017. To date, it has helped 1,500 families in need with either a boiler repair or replacement across the UK.
Residents can face health and wellbeing issues if their boiler were to break down. It has been identified that a high percentage of residents who live in Portsmouth may have an ageing or poorly maintained boiler. Often with little or no savings available, repairing or replacing them is often overlooked by residents.
Almost £1 million of funding has been secured from energy suppliers to assist residents who meet the criteria set out by the initiative. From point of contact, the ECHO team aim to repair or replace faulty boilers within seven working days.
Last year, 400 households benefitted from the repair or replacement of their broken boiler system through the ECHO initiative. As a result of these measures 19,000 tonnes of carbon will be saved, whilst residents save a combined total of around £5 million on their bills.
In order to qualify for assistance under the ECHO programme, applicants will need to meet certain eligibility criteria.
Applicants must either:
– Be part of the Help to Heat group through receipt of qualifying benefits
– Or meet the criteria laid out by their Local Authority in their Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent
– Heat their home using gas central heating
– Be in an emergency “no heat” situation as a result of their boiler being broken
– Be the owner occupier of the property
– Have no access to alternative sources of funding able to provide emergency assistance.
To benefit from the initiative, please contact Portsmouth City Council’s Energy Services team. The team will be able to refer eligible residents to the ECHO scheme.
To see if you are eligible for a free boiler repair or replacement, please contact us:
or call us on 02392 841947.