- Check if you’re eligible for a free home energy visit! You could get: free LED lightbulbs, radiator reflectors, referrals to an income maximisation service to boost your income, referrals to grant-funded larger measures like insulation & more during a free energy visit.
- Check if you’re eligible for the Warm Home Discount Scheme (£140 off your winter electricity (or potentially gas) bill – read here for more.
- Insulate, insulate, insulate! Cavity Wall insulation is estimated to save you £95/year¹ on your energy bill for a mid-terraced house. There is government funding for insulation, and you don’t necessarily need to be on a benefit to be eligible for funding. Contact our freephone adviceline for more (0800 260 5907).
- Check if you could sign up to your energy company’s priority services register: this can give you advanced notice of planned power cuts, support taking meter reading if you are unable to and much more here.
- Check if you could save more on your water bills with Portsmouth Water & Southern Water.
- Check if you can increase your income. Our free home energy visits provides referrals in an income maximisation service or there’s also helpful guides here. Or you can get advice on how to save money or manage debt here.
- Set efficient heating settings – consider setting your thermostat and programmers for a comfortable but cost-effective programme. Between 18 and 21 degrees is recommended to be an efficient but comfortable range².
- Get a smart meter for a more accurate and real-time dashboard of your energy spend. This can send real-time reading to your supplier meaning accurate billing.
- Submit regular meter readings to your energy supplier so that they can bill you accurately.
- Read more of our advice on saving energy at home here
Switched On Portsmouth Freephone energy advice line is open Mon – Fri 9am to 5pm
0800 260 5907