Insulating tanks, pipes and radiators
Un-insulated pipes and hot water tanks waste lots of energy. However, you can insulate these fairly cheaply by yourself.
It costs about £15 to buy a hot water cylinder jacket, but it could save you up to £70 a year on your energy bills.
You can also improve the efficiency of your radiators by placing reflector panels behind them so that the heat they emit is not lost in the material of an external wall. A reflector reflects the heat back into the room.
You can pick up DIY insulation materials at a DIY shop. Alternatively you could receive them for free as part of our LEAP free home energy advice visits.
Still need help?
If you can’t find what you’re looking for or still need help, Citizens Advice is a great service which provides information and advice on a range of issues. There are a number of pages with helpful information on home energy efficiency and energy suppliers.
A full list of Citizens Advice pages on energy can be seen below.
Problems with your energy bill
Struggling to pay your bills
Get a better energy deal
Make a complaint
Problems with your energy supply
- If you’ve been told your energy supply will be disconnected
- What your landlord can charge you for energy
- Problems getting to or topping up your prepayment meter
- If you didn’t agree to switch energy supplier
- Get compensation if you have a power cut
- If your home is on a heat network
- Your energy supplier has gone bust
- Check who’s taken over your energy supply
Your energy meter
- Check if your energy meter is faulty
- How to read your energy meter
- Move your gas or electricity meter
- Decide if prepayment is right for you
- Moving from prepayment to a credit meter
- Getting an old-style prepayment meter installed
- Getting a smart meter installed
- If you have a dynamically teleswitched energy meter